If you want to stream local videos for chromecast, you can do so by installing a chrome extension named Videostream for Chromecast. However there are some other methods too for streaming local videos such as Chrome browser tab casting, desktop sharing, and using Plex media server, but this extension is much more advantageous and easy to use.
ADVANTAGES OF VIDEOSTREAM EXTENSION
The advantages of using Videostream extension to stream local videos for chromecast are:
- Simple to setup and much easier to use.
- Supports a wide variety of video formats.
- Much more reliable and stable.
- Remote control for android.
LIMITATIONS OF VIDEOSTREAM EXTENSION
- Some of the features are not free of cost.
- It does not support images.
- It doesn’t provide remote control for iOS and windows.
HOW TO USE VIDEOSTREAM TO STREAM LOCAL VIDEOS FOR CHROMECAST
STEP 1: INSTALL VIDEOSTREAM EXTENSION FOR CHROMECAST
- Type chrome://extensions/ on the address bar of your chrome browser.
- Search for Videostream in web store as shown below.
- Click the FREE button.
- You will get a confirmation pop up.
- Click on ADD.
STEP 2: USE VIDEOSTREAM TO STREAM LOCAL VIDEOS FOR CHROMECAST
- You can use videostream immediately after the installation.
- No additional set up is required.
- After installation, it will open automatically.
- Click “Select a movie to play” button.
- A file explorer will be opened. You can select the desired clip.
- The Videostream extension will start to search for Chromecast devices in your home network.
- If a Chromecast device is found, the Google cast extension should pop out a window for you to select the device as shown below.
- After selecting the device, the video will be played.
STEP 3: SOME ADVANCED FEATURES OF VIDEOSTREAM
If you want to make use of advanced features of this extension, you will have to purchase a subscription and upgrade it to premium. This premium up gradation will provide you playlist support, ad free interface and you can also use your android phone as a remote control for the casting.
Hope you like this article on “How to stream Local Videos for Chromecast”. If you have any issues regarding this, you can either comment below or a leave a mail.